[PLUG] Network configuration for Ubuntu 10.04

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 18:51:50 UTC 2010

> On Debian/Ubuntu it does interact with /e/n/i - if you mention an interface
> in
> there NM assumes you mean to manage it the old fashioned way, and should no
> longer touch that interface.

Well I use 'Ceni' as it's the net mngr that's pre-packaged w. Sidux (Debian
distro based on 'Sid') for single i-face net config.

> So, if you set eth1 up in /e/n/i then NM will not break it for you.
> Otherwise, yes, it doesn't touch it. :)

When I'm setting up a mult-net config, I prefer to roll my own via
/etc/net/ifaces.

Here's a net iface stanza from my /etc/net/ifaces file if you're interested
in going that route
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.110.9
        broadcast 192.168.110.255