[PLUG] Resolved: Network configuration for Ubuntu 10.04

Mike Connors mconnors1 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 19:35:36 UTC 2010

> Enter the desired search domain address in the "Search domains:" box.
> Again, in my example the search domain from Comcast is:
>
> hsd1.fl.comcast.net
>
> Editorial comment below:

I'm personally not a big fan of the search domain setting, especially when
it comes to Comcast. It tells your computer to query Comcast's domain and if
they can't resolve your query they'll redirect you at their discretion. Of
course they do this because businesses pay them $ to do it.

So I don't ever set a search domain and although I use Qwest I always point
to a public DNS server. I point to University of Oregon's 2 pub DNS
servers.

I also run a my own dns cache server on my Linux notebook too so that
probably makes me a bit of DNS freak But I want my DNS fast & true. And I
don't want anybody messing with my queries, especially some cable tv
company...