[PLUG] Removing OOo with yum ... or?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Nov 2 22:44:15 UTC 2010

When I installed Fedora 11 x86_64 it came with OpenOffice 3.something.
After using it for a bit I discovered lots of missing features. It
turns out that Fedora decided to remove some things because they felt
they were not clean enough for Fedora. So I used Yumex to uninstall the
Fedora version of OOo, then installed 3.1.1 which I downloaded from
openoffice.org.

Now I wish to upgrade to OOo 3.2.1, which I just downloaded from
openoffice.org. I am amazed at the lack of documentation. That is,
there is an installation readme on the OOo website, but it is silent
about *upgrading*. It just addresses installation as though the user
does not have OOo installed yet.

Google turned up a couple places that seemed to suggest that one needs
to remove OOo and then reinstall the new version. I suppose that would
be safer than just trying to overwrite old packages with new packages.
But that brings me to the present dilemma: How to remove OOo 3.1.1.

After untarring the 3.1.1 version (which I no longer have on my hard
disk) it consisted of around 30 RPMs. As I recall I just navigated to
the folder and did "rpm install *.rpm" and it all worked. But I don't
even know the names of the old RPMs, so I'm not sure how to uninstall
them while being sure that I get them all.

Yumex lists lots of things for OOo, but I think they are the packages
from the Fedora repos.

I tried to read the man pages for yum and rpm, but they were pretty
hard to follow.

So how does one remove a mega package like OOo?