[PLUG] Authentication denied: User doesn't exist 521

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Nov 4 06:22:42 UTC 2010

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 23:07:10 -0700
Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net> dijo:

>John> However, after the install a number of programs will not launch.
>John> Frequently I get the error message "Authentication denied: User
>John> doesn't exist 521."
>
>Which programs?  I don't know anything about Fedora, but I am able to
>apply the General Problem Solving Algorithm, generally.  That nice
>man, Mr Google, doesn't seem to recognize that error message, are you
>certain that's literally the error message you get?

It is exactly:

Authentication denied: 521 User doesn't exist!

It's happening all over the place.

Also, many apps will not launch from the Applications menu. No error
messages, just nothing happens. That includes Ktorrent and all OOo
apps. I haven't tried everything. But Firefox and Claws-Mail are
working fine. I haven't looked at the logs yet.