[PLUG] Authentication denied: User doesn't exist 521

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Nov 4 21:56:25 UTC 2010

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 11:58:04 -0700
Bill Barry <bill at billbarry.org> dijo:

>On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 11:52 AM, John Jason Jordan
><johnxj at comcast.net>wrote:
>

>> Sure. I just looked at /etc/passwd, and at /etc/passwd-.
>> Interestingly, they have time stamps of 19:17 and 19:01 yesterday,
>> which is roughly when I did the upgrade from Fedora 11 to Fedora 13.
>>
>> But the error message did get one thing right - user 521 does not
>> exist.

>So he must have been there right before the upgrade and was expected
>by some of the old packages, but was removed during the upgrade. The
>packages that didn't get upgraded expected him to still be there.

I'm not sure about that. I certainly never created a user 521. I have
two accounts, jjj (normal) and jcj (for emergencies). If a user 521 was
there he was created by some package.

I was also having a lot of trouble selecting text, and that problem
has also disappeared. For example, I would try to delete some stuff in
an e-mail reply and I would get a weird popup on top of the area I was
selecting. It was usually when I was trying to select some text with a