[PLUG] Clean OS install instead of upgrade

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Fri Nov 5 18:34:44 UTC 2010

>> This is what /usr/local and /opt are for, and that's why I have
>> both of them on separate partitions. Installing non-distribution
>> stuff into /usr is just tempting fate.

Rich>    I've had this discussion with the slackbuilds.org folks and
Rich> they insist their practices are in line with the FHS. They write
Rich> that /usr/local and /opt are for locally-developed,
Rich> location-specific applications. You're welcome to present your
Rich> support of my position to their mail list.

Do they have some coercive power over you to decide where you install
your locally compiled software?  I mean, you could use:

  --prefix=/upside-down-and-backwards

in your configuration commandline, and that would be strictly between
you and your (hopefully) consenting PATH env.

seniorr at aracnet.com