[PLUG] Poorer video performance on Ubuntu 10.04 than 8.04

Matt McKenzie lnxknight at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 00:39:56 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 2:07 PM, John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net>wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 13:34:57 -0800
> "Richard C. Steffens" <rsteff at comcast.net> dijo:
>
> >Thanks. I'll look into the nouveau driver. I have the nVidea driver
> >installed already:
> >
> >     NVIDIA Driver Version: 96.43.14
>
> I just installed the nVidia driver a couple days ago in an attempt to
> get my computer working with the projector in the PSU room where we
> have our general meetings. It was in the Fedora rpmfusion repository,
> and the version in the repository was the same as the latest version at
> nVidia's website. It is version 260.19.12.
>
> Yours seems a lot of versions older. But maybe there are different
> numbering schemes for different versions of the driver. E.g., mine is
> running an Quadro NVS 140M. Wouldn't hurt to check for the latest
> version, though.

This is probably the Nvidia Legacy driver version, and that is why the
numbering is different.
His graphics card is quite old, Geforce 2 MX.  A Quadro NVS 140M is more
recent.
In this case, the latest version of the driver wouldn't work on that older
card.

> >I did that at the recommendation of the OS. At some point it
> >recommended installing the nVidia driver, and I accepted the
> >invitation.
>
> That seems odd. In my experience Ubuntu doesn't even enable the
> non-open source repositories by default. Oh wait ... you have to
> install the nVidia driver if you want the desktop effects. That is
> probably when the OS "recommended" the nVidia driver.

OP mentioned turning off the eye candy, that should help, especially on
older hardware.

Have you tried using one of the more lightweight window mangler
environments?  (XFCE, LXDE, Blackbox etc)