[PLUG] Upgrade SiI SATA RAID controller -- sans floppy drive

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at cyber-office.net
Thu Nov 11 14:56:52 UTC 2010

chris (fool) mccraw wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 21:25, Roderick A. Anderson
> <raanders at cyber-office.net> wrote:
>
>> Any suggestions or other "Rescue CD" that would run either a DOS or
>> Windows flasher?
>
> weird question--i got paid to search for a solution for two hours today.

Lucky you.  This was for a personal system.  :-(

> what i came up with was this:
>
> http://derek.chezmarcotte.ca/?p=188

It seems Silicon Images needs to address the non-floppy
drive/non-Windows world.
   I spent two hours trying to figure out if it was something I did
during the OS (MythDora) install or a bad card.  Then another 2-ish
hours searching for a solution followed by several attempts to find and
download a Hiren's BootCD iso.

> his boot img (a bargain at 97k gzipped) has 36MByte of room for your
> flash util+files (but beware, this image has 0 dos utils, including
> echo/rename).

Excellent!  I'll go sorting through my "I can't justify throwing this
old technology away" box for a smaller USB stick.  Heck it looks so
useful I might just buy new and keep it in the tool kit.

> i made it work to update a really recalcitrant supermicro motherboard
> and there was much rejoicing.  i had to do the renames manually but
> that wasn't tough.

Renames?  Something to lookout for?

\\||/
Rod