[PLUG] USB Key Not Detected

chris (fool) mccraw gently at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 20:51:02 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 12:44, Robert Kopp <iconoklastic at yahoo.com> wrote:
> lsusb mentions this device, and lsmod seems to indicate that usb_storage is
> loaded.
>
> A Lexar keychain drive is immediately recognized and mounted. It could be that
> the other one is just not automounted. How would I check this (it's been so long
> since I had to mount such a device manually that I forgot how to do it)?

well, if 'dmesg' indicates that it sees a scsi drive, you can find out
what its partition table is with 'fdisk -l' and then mount whatever
partition exists (probably sdX1 for some alphabetical value of X) as:

mount /dev/sdXY /mnt

if dmesg doesn't spit out a bunch of stuff about how it found a new
mass storage device and assigned it a drive letter, something deeper
is wrong and posting the output here is going to be necessary for
further troubleshooting.

> I could solve the immediate problem by using Windows to copy the files from the
> smaller drive that is not recognized by Maverick to the larger one that is.

but that's a bummer!