[PLUG] Determining IP information for eth1...failed.

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Sun Nov 14 02:34:39 UTC 2010

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010 16:06:51 -0800
Kyle Tobin <tobin.kyle at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm running Fedora Core 13 in VMware Workstation and I'm having
> a little bit of networking trouble.

*psst!*  It's just Fedora 13 now; they dropped the "Core" part a
long time ago.

> I've added a second adapter named eth1 to a dhcp server however
> it fails to receive an ip address on boot.  The boot.log shows
> "Determining IP information for eth1...failed."   After booting
> the machine I run ifconfig and see only my eth0 adapter.  At
> this point I can do ifconfig eth1 up then stop and restart
> networking to bring up the eth1 adapter and give it an IP
> address however this is not an ideal situation.  I'd much
> rather have both adapters be addressed properly at boot.
>
> Below is a copy of the config scripts for each interface.  Any
> help spared is much appreciated!

From this I gather that you are installing the NIC "manually,"
using the old standard tools.  Since Fedora runs NetworkManager
by default, try entering the interface in NM, instead.  NM does
not use the standard locations for storing its information about
the interfaces.  (Why, I don't know.  Perversity, perhaps.)

--Dale

--
Q:  How many IBM CPUs does it take to execute a job?
A:  Four; three to hold it down, and one to rip its head off.