[PLUG] Fedora, K6-2, and LFS...

Michael C. Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Tue Nov 16 00:29:48 UTC 2010

A few issues to mention:

1: Linux From Scratch compiles take a long time on a K6-2.

2: Fedora Core 3 is apparently too old to compile binutils-2.20 where I
   notice that the 2.6.9 kernel is used.

3: At some point in the Fedora series, the K6-2 CMOV instruction is no
   longer supported.  This missing instruction is why Centos 5.x is not
   an option.  Can I get high enough kernel wise before the CMOV
   instruction was dropped for LFS 6.6 to work?

4: Is there a way to get compiles to optimize for a K6-2 without
   compiling on a K6-2?  I have a quad core AMD Phenom II handy.

The highest ancient version of Fedora I have handy is Fedora Core 5.
Beyond that, I have Fedora 9 and Fedora 12.  I don't have Fedora 7
and Fedora 11.  I try to keep the odd numbered Fedoras handy.