[PLUG] Fedora, K6-2, and LFS...

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Tue Nov 16 06:03:59 UTC 2010

On Mon, 15 Nov 2010 16:29:48 -0800
"Michael C. Robinson" <plug_1 at robinson-west.com> wrote:

> Subject: [PLUG] Fedora, K6-2, and LFS...
=== snip! ===
> 4: Is there a way to get compiles to optimize for a K6-2
> without compiling on a K6-2?  I have a quad core AMD Phenom II
> handy.

Short answer: Yes.  Somewhat longer answer:  Cross-compilation is
a capability of the kernel Makefile, but I'm uncertain as to the
details.  I've never had occasion to do any cross-compiles.

> The highest ancient version of Fedora I have handy is Fedora
> Core 5. Beyond that, I have Fedora 9 and Fedora 12.  I don't
> have Fedora 7 and Fedora 11.  I try to keep the odd numbered
> Fedoras handy.

Fedora 11 looks like the last release that supported the i586 and
lower processors.  That said, you should be able to take the
source to the current F14 kernel and recompile.  The config
entries are there for CMOV and i586.  For that matter, a plain
vanilla kernel has the same config entries.

--Dale

--
(My gnaester hurts.)