[PLUG] Projector frustration

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Nov 19 05:12:41 UTC 2010

I currently have roughly 10 hours invested in trying to get my Thinkpad
with nVidia video to work with projectors at PSU. That's about six
hours on campus and the rest of the time at home researching the
nouveau driver, xrandr, and the nVidia proprietary driver, installing
and uninstalling each. It also involves several man-hours of time spent
by PSU support staff, not that most were very useful:

"What version of Windows do you have?"
"Windows is not installed on this computer."
"But it's not a Mac ..."
"It runs Fedora 13."
"What's a Fedora 13?"

Eventually I usually did find a support person who knew Linux, but even
then they knew nothing of the nouveau driver, and little about xrandr.

I did discover that the projector in FAB 86-01 is a Hitachi CPXCO5,
although the O may be a zero. Unfortunately Hitachi and Google are
unable to find that model. Without technical specs there is no way to
tell what resolution(s) it is capable of.

Not that projector matters much. Using the nouveau driver I can't even
see it; xrandr -q just shows the laptop screen. Using the nVidia driver
I can see it, but I can't get it to display anything.

I asked here if anyone who has successfully used the projector in FAB
86-01 could share how they did it, but there have been no responses.

It's time to throw in the towel.