[PLUG] Projector frustration

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sat Nov 20 22:08:54 UTC 2010

>> Projectors aren't the same as monitors.  Don't expect them to be
>> and your life will start seeming better.  Count yourself lucky if
>> it does 1024x768!  The people in the back of the room won't be able
>> to tell the difference anyway.

Denis> Isn't the same true for LCD monitors? They have physical
Denis> pixels.  Any data has to be made to fit.

Yes.  What I meant to suggest was that people (particularly the
manufacturers) have different (lower) expectations for resolution with
projectors than the do with monitors.  *I* want 1600x1200 native
resolution projectors (and hell, why stop there?), but I don't want to
pay what the asshat manufacturers would charge me for one.

John, I am fully on board with your desired for more pixels.  You are
talking to a guy with 1600x1200 on his laptop and that spent $1200 or
something on a 20 or 21-inch 1600x1200 trinitron back in 1995.  Pixels
rule!  But in my experience, you aren't going to find so many pixels
on projectors as you do on a garden variety monitor.  Expecting them
isn't going to make them magically appear.  Given that (I presume) you
don't want to go into the projector manufacturing business to rectify
this problem, I suggest that you will become happier when you accept
that reality.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net