[PLUG] Fedora Core network install problems...

Matt McKenzie lnxknight at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 12:57:53 UTC 2010

Hello,

When you create the symbolic link, you want to use whatever %2F translates
to in Unicode, not %2F itself.
When you put in %20 (I think) in a web browser it translates to a space.
OK.... upon Googling, %2F in Unicode translates to...... /.
Yes its forward slash, which should be in the path normally.  Or perhaps it
is looking for an extra /, which is erroneous.

Perhaps when you enter the path during the installer, just leave out the
leading /, and it will add it for you.  I remember some fiddling was
required with the RH/Fedora network installer to get the paths working
right.

So instead of

/pub/ftp_etc/Fedora/Core5/

try this:

pub/ftp_etc/Fedora/Core5/

in the line where you specify the remote location path.

Did the bug report mention a work around?

Here is another suggestion, a different course to try:
Try using an http server instead of ftp, to bypass the bugged ftp installer.
You could also try an NFS server.  Both of those should be fairly
straightforward to setup on the CentOS host box.

A while ago when I did a PXE boot network install of my small form factor
Debian box (this machine is old, floppy disk drive, no CD/DVD, and could not
boot from USB), I believe I used a local http server for the installation
hosted on my main Fedora desktop.

HTH

Matt M.
LinuxKnight