[PLUG] MailScanner jamming...

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Tue Nov 23 03:04:10 UTC 2010

"Michael C. Robinson" <plug_1 at robinson-west.com> writes:

> I have mailscanner failing to pass any email on one of my servers.
>
> To try and fix this I have done the following:
>
> I upgraded to postfix-2.3.3 on the affected server via rpm and the force
> option.

FWIW, the author of Postfix feels (and I, personally, agree with him) that the
design of Mailscanner is utterly, completely, awfully broken.  It pokes around
in the innards of the mail server in a way that is absolutely not reasonable
for a third party bit of software.

I would generally suggest using amavisd-new, which uses SMTP or LMTP to
process the messages on the way through, and which I find generally works very
robustly.

(It also has the advantage that you don't need to fiddle with permissions
 inside the MTA, or to run two MTAs, for things to work.)

I know that isn't actually solving your problem in the immediate term, but it
might help avoid it reoccurring in future.

Regards,
        Daniel