[PLUG] Accessing Wireless Router/AP

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Nov 24 17:43:25 UTC 2010

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Now, what recommendations have you for security level? My choices
> are low/none, medium (WEP 64 or 128 bits), and high
> (WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK). I know nothing about these nor how to define hex
> keys for any of them.

It all depends on how much security you actually want.

If your goal is simply to keep honest people off your network, WEP or
the older WPA will do fine, but either can be broken quickly by anyone
who so desires.

If you actually want something resembling security, go with WPA2 and a
long (> 15 character) shared key.