[PLUG] Accessing Wireless Router/AP

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Nov 24 17:49:16 UTC 2010

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, drew wymore wrote:

> You'll need to grab wpa-supplicant packages for both distros and they'll
> help you configure the WPA passwords needed to connect via wireless.

Drew,

   I read about this in my Google searches. I have wpa_supplicant installed
on my Dell running Slackware-current; I'll check Pamela's Toshiba for that
and get it set up if it's not there.

   I'll read more about wpa_supplicant for the answer to this question: if I
set the ssid and passphrase in there for the local wireless AP, what happens
when I try to access other wireless APs from hotels, coffee shops, etc.? Are
those all set with no protection so wpa_supplicant is never invoked?

Thanks,