[PLUG] Ubuntu Networking

Bill Barry bill at billbarry.org
Wed Nov 24 21:21:21 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 1:09 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>wrote:

>   Progress has been made, but there is still one step to be fixed.
>
>   The Asus WL-520GC AP is configured and working.
>
>   The Toshiba Satellite running xubuntu-10.04 is connected to the LAN. I
> can
> ping hosts here.
>
>   However, I cannot get outside the LAN from the Toshiba. I'm told there's
> no route to the external hosts.
>
>   I have the wireless AP set with the Toshiba's IP address, the gateway IP
> address (that of the router between the LAN and the 'Net), and the local
> DNS
> (caching only) and domain name. There must be something I've either missed
> or mis-configured.
>
>   Your help in making this last step work will be appreciated.

It's your time, but DHCP was invented to take care of all of this for you.
On top of that is Network-manager which will take care of bringing up and
down devices as you connect them. Just remove any device configuration from
/etc/network/interfaces and let network-manager take care of things. If you
then still want static IP addresses you can tell the router which MAC
addresses to assign which IP addresses and all is done.

Bill