[PLUG] Ubuntu Networking

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Nov 24 22:12:01 UTC 2010

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, frankhunt wrote:

> I too run a mix of dynamic and static IP's (servers are static so the
> firewall can map ports to them easily, NAS devices so they are always in
> the same place, etc).  I have found the networking "tools" Ubuntu provides
> to be, well, worthless.  I always manually edit the files.
> /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/resolv.conf are the files (don't forget
> /etc/hosts too), also be sure to remove the dhcp-client app then restart
> the networking.  Unless you have fat-fingers like I do and get one or
> more IP incorrect, you should be golden.  Another way to go might be to
> set the system up with dynamic to make sure everything works, then
> switch it to static.

Frank,

   She uses the wireless capabilities outside the house and needs to detect
and connect to access points there. On the local network I can ping hosts --
including the gateway router -- but cannot find a route to get outside.
Doesn't make sense to me, but I'm not familiar with Debian and the ubuntus.

   Because I must be a masochist I'm also trying to get wireless networking
on my Dell laptop using wicd. I got wicd configured for the wired Ethernet
connection but how to do the same for the wireless still eludes me.

Thanks,