[PLUG] Ubuntu Networking

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Nov 25 01:50:55 UTC 2010

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, Bill Barry wrote:

> I am still confused.
> Which is it?
> A) Asus is the only router and it should get an outside address.

   No. If that was the case there'd be no problem with it.

> B) There is another router and it gets the outside address and the Asus is
> better replaced with a nice cheap switch from Free Geek.

   No. Free Geek has cheap switches that accept wireless connections? I've
always used a Linksys WRT54G or GC. Didn't know a "cheap switch" worked on a
radio.

> C) your network modem also doubles as a router but you don't want to use its
> routing capabilities. So it should be in bridging mode.

   No. No. No. The DSL "modem" is connected to the NetGear VFS-318
router/bridge/firewall.

> Or D)?

   Yes. The wireless AP is a node on the local network. It acts as a bridge
between the wireless laptop and the rest of the LAN, plus accessing the 'Net
via the NetGear gateway.

   This has worked very well for a dozen or so years. However, the Linksys
routers failed (both the little ones apparenly died) and the Asus replaces
the failed AP.