[PLUG] External monitor remains black

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Sun Nov 28 13:35:28 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 10:12:06PM -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> I have a Thinkpad T61 with nVidia Quadro NVS 140M running Fedora 14
> x86_64 (Gnome). After several days of googling and fiddling I managed to
> get the laptop display (normally 1680x1050) to run at 1400x1050, using
> the nouveau driver.

> I also have a Viewsonic VG2021m (borrowed from Keith Lofstrom) which
> can do 1400x1050 as its native preferred resolution. It is plugged into
> the VGA output on my T61. I have tried dozens of things, but the
> Viewsonic remains black.

Since you don't state what the dozens of things are I feel compelled to ask the
obvious: did you cycle through the <Fn><F_ Key for the external display> settings
pressing keys at each step?

This normally puts the laptop display system into three states:
    On board LCD on,  external off
    On board LCD off, external on
    On board LCD on,  external on

If you've chosen the correct F_ key your onboard LCD will turn off during one stage of
this testing.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
  Trading kilograms for kilometers since 2003