[PLUG] External monitor remains black

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Nov 29 06:41:11 UTC 2010

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 10:22:05 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

>On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 10:08:00 -0800
>John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:
>
>>At this point I'm wondering if it's a bug in the nouveau driver.
>
>While looking at the nouveau site I found a troubleshooting page:
>
>http://nouveau.freedesktop.org/wiki/TroubleShooting
>
>I'm going to run through the suggestions, especially the parts about
>other drivers interfering. I did have the nVidia proprietary driver
>installed at one point.

After several hours of trying I have failed to get the nouveau driver
to light up the external Viewsonic monitor. I did all the
troubleshooting things on the nouveau page, but nothing helped.

I booted to an Ubuntu 10.10 live CD and to a Fedora 14 live CD as well.
Both were able to see the external monitor, but neither could get it to
display anything. They act the same as my installed Fedora 14.

I have another monitor that my desktop is normally connected to
(Samsung). The nouveau driver sees it as well, but still can't get it to
display anything. If I connect the Viewsonic to the desktop computer it
works fine. So we know the cables and monitors are good.

I searched the nouveau bugs on bugzilla and found only one bug that was
close to the same. It was from last spring and was never resolved.