[PLUG] External monitor remains black

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Nov 29 06:48:11 UTC 2010

In my peregrinations through the web I came across the possibility of
modifying the EDID in the monitor, as well as the possibility of adding
a line in xorg.conf to force the driver to read the EDID from a file.
The former can be done with a shareware tool called Powerstrip.
Unfortunately, it runs only on Windows, and I have no Windows on the
laptop. It is also scary.

As for getting the EDID into a file, I did that with a utility called
monitor-edid. Here is the ASCII version:

00 ff ff ff ff ff ff 00 24 4d 87 28 00 00 00 00 00 0f 01 03 80 21 15 78
0a bc a5 98 58 55 8b 28 24 50 54 00 00 00 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01 01
01 01 01 01 01 01 1c 2f 90 d0 60 1a 0f 40 20 30 13 00 4b cf 10 00 00 19
45 27 90 d0 60 1a 0f 40 20 30 13 00 4b cf 10 00 00 19 00 00 00 0f 00 b3
0a 32 b3 0a 28 14 01 00 32 0c 00 00 00 00 00 fe 00 4c 50 31 35 34 57 30
32 2d 54 4c 30 36 00 bf

Not very helpful, eh?

I can get the physical properties of the laptop display with xrandr (I
think). But I don't know how to put them into a file that the nVidia
driver will be able to understand. If you can remember anything about
how you did it, I'd be interested.

On Sun, 28 Nov 2010 15:59:08 -0800
Jason Barnett <jason.barnett71 at gmail.com> dijo: