[PLUG] AMD video cards...

Michael C. Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Mon Oct 4 09:18:28 UTC 2010

I'm curious how the Radeon 2600 XT and Radeon 2600 Pro are different and
which one works best under Linux?

How is the Radeon HD 3450 different from the Radeon 2000 series cards?
I'm having problems with mine randomnly cutting the signal to the
monitor.  Sometimes playing Warcraft II via wine, I can switch to a
text console via alt-Fn and back fixing the issue.  If I want to
network boot my Linux from scratch system, I have to swap my
Radeon 7500 back in.  I want a higher end card that actually works in
Linux in general.  If that means PCI express, I need to know what to
get as far as new motherboard, processor, memory, etcetera.

It looks like the Radeon 2600 XT is the best bet for dual DVI
connections and working with Linux's open source drivers.  The
pro looks like a wimpy version of the 2600 XT.  I have an Nvidia
6200 on the shelf, but it requires a proprietary driver and is
anything but satisfactory.