[PLUG] question for Ubuntu gurus

logical american website.reader3 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 05:02:24 UTC 2010

> I would think a dynamic IP would preclude the being of a DNS server, as if the servers IP were to change, no one could find the DNS anymore.
>
> Or am I missing something here?
Maybe I've not provided enough information.  The dhcp server is
assigning a dynamic ip to the eth1 interface.  The dns server needs to
know eth1's IP alright but the conf files expect a static ip, as you stated.

I think the solution is to make eth1 a static ip, and lend out a dynamic
ip to the router downstream, and then the dns server will be happy.

Or as another person suggests, perhaps run dnsmasq, but Ubuntu has a
semi-automatic network manager that likes to do things itself, as I am
finding out.

Randall