[PLUG] Free case/motherboard/psu to a board repair person

Tim tim-pdxlug at sentinelchicken.org
Fri Oct 8 17:03:45 UTC 2010

Hi all,

About two years ago I built my parents a new Ubuntu system from
scratch.  Unfortunately, a couple of months back, they started having
problems with the system shutting off randomly (cold power-off).  I
spent many hours trying to figure out what the cause was.  It seemed
to be related to use of the onboard video, since disabling 2D
acceleration made it somewhat more stable, but the system was still
unacceptably unstable.

Finally I gave up and bought them a new motherboard and associated
hardware.  It is running fine now, on virtually the same hardware
setup.

Shortly after that, in an unrelated spat of hardware trouble, my
brother started having difficulties with one of his older LCD
monitors.  He found others who had the same issues and sent me this
great article on diagnosing/fixing bad capacitors:
  http://wcoastsands.blogspot.com/2009/11/samsung-syncmaster-215tw.html

So I went back and looked at my parents' old motherboard and sure
enough, two capacitors on the board are bulging very similarly to what
is described in that article.  It may be a  < $5 fix for an
adventurous person with a soldering gun.  I would do it myself, but
unfortunately this motherboard does not have a CPU or memory in it
anymore, since I moved it over to my parents' new system.  So I can't
easily test it.

I would be more than happy to give this board away, along with its
case and power supply to anyone who is willing to try and get it
working again with new capacitors.  Otherwise I'll just have to give
it to free geek, and I doubt they will put in the time to repair it
(though correct me if I am wrong).

The system is a Shuttle SN68SG2.  Specs can be found here:
  http://global.shuttle.com/product_detail_spec.jsp?PI=647

Thanks!
tim