[PLUG] Video card choices...

Michael C. Robinson plug_1 at robinson-west.com
Sat Oct 9 15:38:10 UTC 2010

Thanks Matt.  Looks like my best bet cost wise and results wise is to
upgrade.  I've been putting this off as long as possible.  I'm a
college student and money is a little tight.  Being a CS major though,
my system needs to be stable and potentially higher end.

There are multiple multi core options these days where some boards with
LGA775 sockets are already considered old tech.  So going multi core
isn't enough, one needs to be careful.

A concern of mine is that my network root Linux system that I use to
back up Windows systems and Linux systems is Pentium III optimized.
Will a multi core system run in a Pentium III compatible mode?  For
backing up, I see no need to utilize all cores and be 64 bit.

I'm thinking that by Christmas, I should have a dual core or better
system put together.  The budget is $1k or less, preferably less.
Sometimes the Intel boards allow one to run the onboard video or
replace it with an add-on video card.  I'm thinking that step wise
upgrading might be preferable.  It would be nice to be able to run
more than one video card if I need that.

I've been following a need not want not philosophy to save money and
I figure when I finally do upgrade that I want do so economically and
effectively.  The sooner one upgrades, the less up to date they are.
This is an ongoing problem with computers.  I hate that computers have
become so disposable.

I wish I could take my computer science and start a new video card
company or convince Intel to improve their offerings.  If I were
to have a company, the philosophy would be, "we give the specs to
anyone who wants to support our hardware on anything."  First things
first, I need to finish the 50 credit hours I have left.