[PLUG] DVD volume name

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Oct 13 01:18:26 UTC 2010

I want long volume names when I burn a data DVD. K3b usually allows me
many characters if I specify "Linux/Unix filesystem only," but
sometimes not. And I can't find anywhere a specification for what
"Linux/Unix filesystem only" means - how many characters, what are the
prohibited characters, etc. For that matter I can't find what "Windows
compatibility" means either, although apparently it is fewer
characters.

I usually use K3b, but it is buggy in this department. Once it gives me
an error it will continue to give me an error regardless of how few
characters I make the volume name. That is, until I reboot. Just
closing and restarting K3b does not resolve the issue.

Brasero and Nautilus CD/DVD burning utilities allow fewer characters,
but again there appears to be zero documentation. Google is also not
helping.

Does anyone know what are the maximum possible number of characters for
a DVD volume name, and how to get them?