[PLUG] Migrating from WinXP Pro to Ubuntu 10.10

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sat Oct 16 08:59:50 UTC 2010

>>>>> "Richard" == Richard Owlett <rowlett at pcnetinc.com> writes:

Richard> I gather that when downloading a program, there are Linux
Richard> utilities that simplify gathering everything required to run
Richard> that program. Is there a site which allows choosing a base
Richard> minimal distro and then asks which programs your wish to
Richard> run. It would then check for dependencies and "put together
Richard> an appropriate package"? I assume I'm totally abusing
Richard> standard terminology, but you get my drift. I hope.

If you want a non-bloaty base installation, you could try Debian.  It
lets you install with a minimum of packages to start with.  Then you
can add more as you need them.  However, Debian is not a particularly
hand-holding distribution.  So, your mileage may vary.  Ubuntu is
without doubt a friendlier place to start.  Stuff "Just Works" with
Ubuntu most of the time.  Debian requires a little more knowledge to
avoid cutting yourself on the edges.

I am mostly ignorant of the RPM based distributions, so that advice
comes with a FWIW.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net