[PLUG] udev 151 hates old IDE devices

Carlos Konstanski ckonstanski at pippiandcarlos.com
Sat Oct 16 18:23:19 UTC 2010

udev-151 no longer likes any IDE drivers located under the deprecated
"ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support" of the kernel config. I have a production system
(a firewall) that requires the via82cxxx driver. Has anyone had success
substituting a driver under the "Serial ATA and Parallel ATA drivers" category?

Unfortunately the machine is located remotely, and it's in production use. I
cannot experiment on it ad hoc. And since it's a hardware driver issue, I
cannot test in a VM.

Does anyone else think it's a load of crap that udev is dropping support for
all these old IDE devices without having any clear upgrade path? I bought
this computer 2 years ago; it's not ancient.

Thanks,

Carlos