[PLUG] Firefox Version Matters After OS Upgrade

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Oct 20 15:31:54 UTC 2010

   I've asked about this issue on the Slackware mail list, but the one
responder had no insight or solution. I'm confident that the collective
wisdom and intelligence here can help me resolve the issue.

   My desktop and notebook both ran Slackware-12.2 with Firefox-3.0.19 (the
default version of firefox for that version of Slackware). I recently
upgraded both to Slackware-13.0 (2.6.29.6 kernel). The version of Firefox
included is -3.5.2, and there's a patched version, -3.6.10, distributed. The
problem is that neither version greater than -3.0.19 will run on either
host. I click on the icon (or try running /usr/bin/firefox or
/usr/lib/firefox-3.6.10/firefox-bin from the command line) and nothing
happens. Doesn't matter if it's -3.5.2 or -3.6.10.

   When I run 'ldd /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.10/firefox-bin' I see 2 libraries not
found on the notebook and three on the desktop (which are each listed
multiple times). From the desktop:

[rshepard at salmo ~]$ ldd /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.10/firefox-bin
         libxul.so => not found
         libplc4.so => not found
         libnspr4.so => not found

   The remainder are found. Yet, when I look in /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.10/ I
see all these libraries:

libxul.so*
libnspr4.so*
libplc4.so*

   On the notebook I made symlinks to these from /usr/lib, but that made no
difference. And, when I downloaded firefox-3.0.19 and installed that rather
than the higher versions it loads and runs just fine.

   I'm stymied and puzzled. Two different hosts, two different processors,
same behaviors with all three firefox versions. How do I proceed to find out
what's broken so I can fix it?

TIA,