[PLUG] How To Remove "Ghost" Files? [SOLVED]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Oct 20 15:40:22 UTC 2010

On Fri, 8 Oct 2010, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   This morning's report on the dirvish backup reported errors of files being
> removed before they could be backed up. This in a directory that I've not
> accessed for several years so nothing should have changed any files there.
> As a matter of fact, I've done nothing in that partition recently.
>
>   Anyway, I cannot remove this spurious files as they have no information
> associated with them when displayed. Here's an example:
>
> ?????????? ? ?        ?          ?                ? xdbctl_8h-source.htm

   Turns out this and other strange behaviors were all related to a failing
video/north bridge chip on the system board. It croaked totally Sunday
afternoon just after I finished upgrading the system to Slackware-13.3 and
tried rebooting. Turns out the failure also took out the new kernel modules
which made for much amusement here when I tried booting the system after
buying a new system board, CPU, memory, and (just for giggles) a new, small,
flat Antek Minuet 350 case.

   After re-installing Slackware-13.0 a few times, everything but firefox is
running. Soon I'll get up the courage to upgrade to -13.1 which changes all
the ATA drive designations from hd* to sd* and alters all the IDs of the
optical and supplemental (e.g., USB flash) drives.