[PLUG] Firefox Version Matters After OS Upgradep

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 18:19:41 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 11:09 AM, wes <plug at the-wes.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 10:55 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>wrote:
>
>>   Why's firefox looking in wx and grass6.4 directories for libraries it
>> needs? Something's screwy here.

It will look in lots of places, depending on your system
configuration.  Everything in /etc/ld.so.conf, for starters.

This outlines the search algorithm, to a degree:
http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/notes/rpath.html

It's not uncommon for apps to search all kinds of different
(nonsensical) places.   The aren't particularly smart about it.

If you know where the libraries are, you can add that path to
/etc/ld.so.conf (it's just a list of paths -- you may need to run
ldconfig after doing that... I'm not clear on the interactions), or
set LD_LIBRARY_PATH before running firefox, eg:

$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/firefox-3.6.10:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/lib/firefox-3.6.10/firefox-bin

If that works, then at least you know what the problem is.

--Rogan