[PLUG] Firefox Version Matters After OS Upgradep

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Oct 20 22:39:16 UTC 2010

On Wed, 20 Oct 2010, Rogan Creswick wrote:

> That looks like it's finding the wrong libxul.so.

Rogan,

[root at salmo ~]# find / -name libxul.so
/usr/lib/tls/libxul.so
/usr/lib/firefox-3.6.10/libxul.so

and,

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 33 2010-10-20 11:25 /usr/lib/tls/libxul.so ->
/usr/lib/firefox-3.6.10/libxul.so*

   So, it's the only one on the system.

> ... look around at the libxul so's that came with firefox and see if they
> define that symbol (you can get the list of symbols from a shared lib.
> with 'nm'). My guess is that the libxul in /usr/lib/tls is not the version
> you need for firefox, but it's showning up in the LD search path first.

   That's because I saw in the strace output /usr/lib/tls is where firefox
was looking for it so I put it there. Now, when I run ldd, there are _no_
missing libraries. But, an unfound symbol. Sigh.

   Another dead end:

[root at salmo /usr/src]# nm /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.10/libxul.so
nm: /usr/lib/firefox-3.6.10/libxul.so: no symbols

> Did the LD_LIBRARY_PATH trick help at all?

   Nope.

   This is quite frustrating.

Thanks,