[PLUG] flash problems x86_64...

Joe Shisei Niski joeniski at easystreet.net
Thu Oct 21 15:39:23 UTC 2010

On 10/21/2010 07:13 AM, Michael C. Robinson wrote:
> Apparently, there is no standard way to watch flash content on an x86_64
> Linux distribution.  Adobe evidently has pulled their 64 bit flash
> player, not the Windows version of course.  Anyone know of a good
> workaround?  For how long is this likely to remain a problem?
>
> This is why I stuck with my old Pentium 4 for so long.
>
> I'm running Fedora 13 x86_64 where the 32 bit flash player doesn't seem
> to work.
>
> I wish an open source flash replacement would come out that works with
> the boneheaded web sites that require adobe flash player.

Ubuntu 10.10 64-bit comes with an Adobe player that works fine on both
of my laptops in Firefox 3.5.x and the nightly builds of FF 4.0-beta.
Flash content in the latest Chrome works fine also - it's actually a bit
more stable than in Firefox.

The onlyFOSS implementation Ubuntu 10.10 includes in the standard repos
is the woefully behind-the-spec Gnash.

Disclaimer: i willingly use closed-source software (and even pay for it)
when i can't easily find a reliable FOSS solution. After all, i write
software for a living.