[PLUG] linux for elementary classroom/lab

Nathan Young nathan at ncyoung.com
Sat Oct 23 05:39:47 UTC 2010

Hi.

Has anyone used linux on a large scale among lower grades in the portland
area? I have a few specific questions areas of interest.

Do you know how PPS interacts with linux? I've been told that if the
district buys computers for the school then they also support those systems
to a degree, while if systems are donated or bought using PTA funds or any
other source, the school is on it's own to install/configure/maintain. I've
also been told that the support forthcoming is not so incredible that it
forms a strong incentive to stay with PPS provided systems (in other words
the bar is pretty low and likely to be pole vaulted by one or two involved
and knowledgable parent volenteers and a few easy to come by corporate
donation program grants).

ok second question: anyone tried edbuntu.etc?  Or is it better to install a
recent distro and LTSP and configure from scratch?  Target here is kind of:
make netboxes out of outdated hardware where:
 a. teachers and part time admins are sick of maintaining outdated versions
of the OS and the damn thing can't print or whatever
 b. not enough seats to go around so students go into the computer lab and
sit... and sit...

ok third question in this rambling chain: Anyone done this on one or two
hours of time investment a week?  I've got 6-8th graders, is it insane to
start contemplating a student run corner of the lab (or just insane to think
that would save time)?

Fourth question (longshot time) Odyssey program at hayhurst anyone? I'm on
the IT committee and surrounded by windows admins.  We also have someone who
is well connected for hardware donations for next year.  I'm kind of booked
up working on the website (and trying to have a life), but I'd start laying
groundwork if I wasn't pissing in the dark.... totally alone...

----->N