[PLUG] Xubuntu-10.4: Network Manager Does Not See Wired Network

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Mon Oct 25 02:49:12 UTC 2010

The goal of Network Manager is to make networking invisible.  If it
can work and it figures out how, it Just Works, otherwise it Just
Gives Up.  My guess is that there is some physical or PEBKAC problem
that Network Manager can't compensate for.

In Ubuntu, if I am doing diagnosis, I just turn off Network Manager
like so:

  sudo stop network-manager

With Network Manager off:

  ip addr

which should give you some information about the interfaces known.

  dhclient <iface-name-of-your-ethernet>

and see what happens.

When I want to start Network Manager back up, I do:

  sudo start network-manager

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net