[PLUG] Problems new Phenom II system...

Nathan nathan at nathanewilliams.com
Wed Oct 27 03:04:35 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 19:47 -0700, Michael C. Robinson wrote:
MR dropped bits saying:
> It works for me doesn't help me at all.  I need instructions so I can
> hopefully reproduce that experience.

1) download this file:
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/labs/flashplayer10/flashplayer_square_p2_64bit_linux_092710.tar.gz

2) extract libflashplayer.so to ~/.mozilla/plugins/

3) _restart_ firefox. check about:plugins and verify you've got
libflashplayer.so listed...

4) go watch some youtube.

Thoughts:

yeah, flash on linux sucks. after a lot of griping from the community,
adobe seems to be moving (albeit glacially) toward remedying that. due
to their inconsistency about keeping these functional demos available,
i've started mirroring them every time i see one.

bad thing about using the beta is that it's probably full of security
holes, and if you manually install the plugin, you need to make sure to
watch for updates, as it won't be coming through your repo or mozilla's
plugin updater. we linux users are spoiled like that.

holler if _exactly_ following those steps doesn't work. i've tested this
on several operating system on several computers and had zero issues
with it.

cheers,

nathan