[PLUG] Problems new Phenom II system...

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Wed Oct 27 05:28:56 UTC 2010

On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 19:47:39 -0700
"Michael C. Robinson" <plug_1 at robinson-west.com> wrote:

> Rumor has it, 64 bit flash doesn't work in Windows 7 even.

Some friends of mine have a 64-bit system running Windows 7.
64-bit Flash doesn't work for them.  That's only one data point,
though; I don't know about anyone else.

> It works for me doesn't help me at all.  I need instructions so
> I can hopefully reproduce that experience.

I've been running 32-bit Flash with 64-bit Firefox for some
time.  The method is a bit arcane, but once set up, you don't
need to worry about it.  I found it on the fedoraproject.org web
site.

<http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Flash>

That is a good page to check, and is where I got most the
following:

Basically, you get your Yum repo data from Adobe's web site (the
"Yum for download" selection).  When it's done, you should have a
file "adobe-linux-i386.repo" in your /etc/yum.repos.d directory.
Now the fun starts.  32-bit Flash has to be run via
nspluginwrapper, so you have to install it.

The first command will automatically pull in the 32-bit version
of libstdc++ and a bunch of other stuff.  (Note that you can do
this before getting the Adobe yum repo information.  If you do,
the '--disablerepo' option isn't needed.)  The second command
pulls in the actual Flash plugin.

(The first command is wrapped at the "\", to keep it from being
mangled by mail agents of evil.)

su -c 'yum install nspluginwrapper.{x86_64,i386) \
 alsa-plugins-pulseaudio.i686 --disablerepo=adobe-linux-i386'
su -c 'yum install flash-plugin'

Once that's done, restart Firefox if it was running, and enter
'about:plugins' in the browser's address bar.  Firefox should tell
you that Flash is installed.

After that, you will get any updates to (32-bit) Flash whenever
Adobe releases them.

I can't help you with Hulu, I'm afraid.  I tried it here a couple
of months ago; watched a couple episodes of "The Dresden Files"
and had no trouble.

--Dale

--
Eye halve a spelling chequer       I ran this poem thru it
It came with my pea sea            I'm sure your pleased to no