[PLUG] Position of swap partition

Jason Barnett jason.barnett71 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 19:52:45 UTC 2010

I would vote for option 3.
/dev/sda1 = /
/dev/sda2 = /tmp
/dev/sda3 = swap

My thinking is that the root partition is the most frequently used and you
want it in the fastest part of the drive.  The /tmp directory is used
frequently so you want that in the second fastest part of the drive.
Lastly, you should hope to never need to use the swap partition except for
hibernation so put it in the slowest part of the drive.

Two other points...
1) Where are you mounting your /home partition?
2) You might want to think about forgoing the swap partition but create a
swap file on the / folder.  This is usually a bit slower, but being in a
faster area of the drive and the flexability it gives you might be worth the
tradeoff.  Besides, if you find space getting tight in your / folder, you
can just remove the swapfile if you find you are not using it, to get a bit
of emergency breathing room.