[PLUG] Linux Foundation announces the Yocto Project

Scott Garman sgarman at zenlinux.com
Wed Oct 27 22:24:17 UTC 2010

Hello,

I thought I'd share some noteworthy news in the embedded Linux space.

Today the Yocto Project was announced at the Consumer Electronics Linux
Forum (CELF) conference. This is an effort to help promote and
contribute to existing open source projects (Poky/OpenEmbedded), which
are build systems for developing customized Linux distros for embedded
devices.

A common problem for companies trying to create embedded Linux products
is that every time they need to use a new hardware platform for a
product, developers need to learn and/or workaround idiosyncracies of
the hardware vendor-supplied Linux distro. An important goal of the
Yocto Project is to provide a flexible and standardized system to allow
companies to create their own embedded Linux distros that they can use
across a range of of hardware devices.

Board vendors will also appreciate that the Yocto Project defines a
standard way of creating Board Support Packages (BSPs) for their
embedded products.

The Yocto Project is a community effort under the Linux Foundation's
umbrella, and it supports all major hardware architectures - not just
x86, but also arm, mips, ppc, and even x86-64 are supported equally.

A good overview of the Yocto Project was posted on Linux for Devices today:

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Linux-Foundation-Yocto-Project/

and of course you can learn more at the project's home page:

http://yoctoproject.org

A number of folks (including myself) from Intel's Hillsboro location
have been working on this effort (as well as from other sites). We
welcome and encourage participation in the project. There's some really
exciting stuff going on right in our backyard when it comes to embedded
Linux.

Scott

--
Scott Garman