[PLUG] Position of swap partition

Derek Loree drl at drloree.com
Thu Oct 28 02:41:47 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 12:26 -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> Does it matter what partition is formatted as swap on a drive? On my new
> hard drive I've made 3 partitions, and think I should redo it because I made
> /dev/sda1 the swap, /dev/sda2 will be /, and /dev/sda3 will be /tmp. I'm
> thinking I should repartition so the sequence is /, swap, /tmp.
>
>    Thoughts?

I think it is always better (if possible) to use the same partition
scheme on all computers that I build.  It doesn't really matter what
that scheme is, consistency is what works over the long run.

For your piece of mind, I almost always have a swap partition at the
beginning of the drive, it has never caused any boot problems.

> Rich

Derek Loree