[PLUG] Filesystem Automatic Checks

wes plug at the-wes.com
Thu Oct 28 18:25:18 UTC 2010

On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Oct 2010, Carlos Konstanski wrote:
>
> > tune2fs -c lets you adjust the number of mounts between fsks.
>
> Carlos,
>
>   I realize this but am curious why the defaults are so different. What I
> saw here was:
>
> /dev/sda1         1G    21 mounts
> /dev/sda2       100M    20 mounts
> /dev/sda5       200G    37 mounts
> /dev/sda6       100G    28 mounts
> /dev/sda7       195G    35 mounts
> /dev/sda8         5G    27 mounts
> /dev/sda9         4G    37 mounts
>
>   Seems almost random.
>
> Rich

I have no real information about how this works, but I will address your
comment that it's "random" - the only one that does not follow a size->time
progression is the 4G partition. I have no explanation for this, except that
it's the last one. I wonder if you used the same syntax in your command to
create each one?

If you sort by number of mounts between fscks:

/dev/sda2          100M    20 mounts
/dev/sda1         1000M    21 mounts
/dev/sda8         5000M    27 mounts
/dev/sda6       100000M    28 mounts