[PLUG] PHP with POSIX style message queues (mq_open() and friends)

Jameson Williams jameson at jamesonwilliams.com
Thu Oct 28 19:05:49 UTC 2010

Hello,

I need some way to interact with a POSIX message queue from PHP. I am
already aware that the PHP library provides for manipulation of Sys V style
queues (msg_get_queue(), etc.), but I cannot change the queue. I am hoping
to accomplish this capability in a portable way, avoiding external
dependencies if possible. So far, these are two solutions I have thought of:

* Build a PHP extension which exposes these functions.
* Build a set of wrapper binaries that can be called via shell_exec() or
shell()

For performance reasons, the second is nearly a non-option. Is, then, the
first option the only way to go about this?

Thank you,
Jameson Williams