[PLUG] Position of swap partition

RParr RParr at TemporalArts.COM
Thu Oct 28 19:15:27 UTC 2010

On 10/27/2010 12:26 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>     Does it matter what partition is formatted as swap on a drive? On my new
> hard drive I've made 3 partitions, and think I should redo it because I made
> /dev/sda1 the swap, /dev/sda2 will be /, and /dev/sda3 will be /tmp. I'm
> thinking I should repartition so the sequence is /, swap, /tmp.
>
>     Thoughts?
>
> Rich

I tend to put the partitions which will likely change the least first
and those I might change, resize, repartition last.

I tend to set them up anticipating booting multiple O/S and/or reserving
a partition for installing the "next" version.

/dev/sda1  boot or diagnostic
/dev/sda2 swap
/dev/sda3 ntfs (if I have to have a Windows)
/dev/sda4
/dev/sda5 /
/dev/sda6 reserved for / next version
/dev/sda7 /data

I put /data last because it is then easier to resize it to grow the /
partitions and/or carve out another partition should I need to.

R.Parr, RHCE, Temporal Arts