[PLUG] Identifying Device UUID

Gerald Turner gturner at unzane.com
Fri Oct 29 17:20:16 UTC 2010

Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

>    How do I determine the UUID for devices such as this external
> drive? I've tried 'vol_id', but 'vol_id -u /media/hd0' responds that
> it's an unknown or unique media type and I see the same response if I
> use --uuid as the option to vol_id.
>
>    A clue stick is needed.

I use 'blkid' that is part of the util-linux package on Debian, I don't
have a vol_id here.

Could the problem be that you've changed your external drive to vfat?

I just tried a USB stick formatted with vfat, at first 'blkid' didn't
report any information for it (maybe blkid is using a cache, or maybe
it's ignoring vfat partitions), but then ran 'blkid -p /dev/sdg1'
("low-level probe") and it reported the UUID and other attributes just
fine and mysteriously, subsequently running just 'blkid' now reports the
data.

Gerald Turner   Email: gturner at unzane.com   JID: gturner at unzane.com
GPG: 0xFA8CD6D5  21D9 B2E8 7FE7 F19E 5F7D  4D0C 3FA0 810F FA8C D6D5