[PLUG] gnome launcher variables?

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sun Oct 31 09:32:43 UTC 2010

>>>>> "Russell" == Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net> writes:

Russell> I am setting up a new machine and consolidating home
Russell> directories on a network server.  One of the difficulties
Russell> historically with shared home directories across multiple
Russell> desktop machines is mozilla/firefox profiles not liking to be
Russell> opened more than once at a time.  The last time I worked on
Russell> this problem I had solved it by having per-machine profiles
Russell> and configuring the launchers to call firefox with the
Russell> per-machine profile.  All good so far, but that was on a
Russell> different desktop system, not Gnome.  I look at the launcher
Russell> for firefox on the Gnome panel and it is "firefox %u" but
Russell> ... like, wtf is %u is where does it come from?  Are there
Russell> other %foo's that I could use (like one that evaluated to
Russell> hostname)?  Where is that all documented?

Russell> I've dredged around online and not found it so far.  Any
Russell> hints?

Russell> This looks like maybe it:

Russell>
Russell> http://library.gnome.org/devel/integration-guide/stable/desktop-files.html.en

Russell> Table 1-2.  But, no hostname, sigh.

FWIW, this seems to work:

  Command: /bin/bash -c "firefox -P $(hostname) %u"

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net