[PLUG] memtest86: Help Needed

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Oct 31 14:34:24 UTC 2010

   I'm trying to identify the issues continuing since the motherboard failure
caused me to build a new system, but still using the old main drive (the
second has been taken out of service). Testing the new 4G of memory seems
not to work.

   The system has 4G of RAM (Kingston) and memtest86-3.5 does not (yet)
accommodate 4+G of RAM so I built memtest86-3.4 and installed memtest86-bin
in /boot, made it the last choice in /etc/lilo.conf, ran /sbin/lilo, and
decided that last night was a good time to run the tests.

   I rebooted and started the testing about 8:00pm last evening. Very quickly
the display showed it running test #2, and the right-most column (error
positions, IIRC) kept cycling with 5-digit numbers. A couple of hours later
the display had not changed. About 6:30 am this morning it still hadn't
changed.

   There is no mail list for support by the Brady bunch, and their Web site
says they don't respond to requests for help, problem reports, or bug
reports because the tool is downloaded > 200k times/month.

   There are almost certainly hardware folks here who might have some
suggestions on what I might have done incorrectly or what the lack of change
in the display (e.g., number of test series completed, total errors found)
might mean.