[PLUG] Ubuntu 10.04 Display Issue

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Sep 11 15:17:32 UTC 2010

On Sat, 11 Sep 2010, frank hunt wrote:

> Xorg logs show "Fatal server error:no screens found". Probably a driver
> issue - anyone got any ideas?

   Yup. Not the driver, but the resolutions in xorg.conf's Screen sections.
Open that file (don't know where the ubuntus put it, but on Slackware it's
in /etc/X11/), go to the screens section and you should see something like
this:

Section "Screen"
     Identifier     "Regular Screen"
     Device         "nVidia GeForce 6150"
     Monitor        "Acer LCD"
     DefaultDepth    24
     SubSection     "Display"
         Viewport    0 0
         Virtual     1440 900
         Depth       24
         Modes      "1440x900" "1280x1024" "1152x864" "1024x768"
     EndSubSection

   My Acer monitor does no more than 1440x900 (which is fine for eyeballs
with many miles on them), and I'll bet your Screen section shows no higher
resolution, either.

   Add the one you want at the left of the group.